First Chapters Q&A with Justin Heazlewood

Justin Heazlewood is an award-winning writer, musician and comic.  As the Bedroom Philosopher he has released three albums.  He was a senior writer for frankie for five years.
His books include The Bedroom Philosopher Diaries and Funemployed.
Justin will be reading from his new book Get Up Mum at First Chapters on Friday 6 July.

We asked Justin some general bookish questions because we were interested in finding out more about him and this is what he had to say.

1. Brunswick Bound has asked you to read a chapter from your published work.  Tell us what we can expect from the chapter you have chosen?

It’s written in the voice of a twelve year old ‘Heazy.’ It’s the infamous Heazlewood family slide night. Pop and I loved getting out the slides and clicking through. I like it as the opening scene of the book because ‘time’ is a theme and looking back is a default.

2. How would you describe the kind of books that you write?

Personal. Funny. Honest. Championing mental health and nineties nostalgia.

3. What was the first book that you read (or had read to you) that left an impression on you?

The Monster At The End Of This Book’ – it’s very post modern. Grover is talking to the reader and yelling at them not to turn the page because he’s scared. I’ve taken that ethos into my own memoirs.

4. Do you believe that books should answer life's big questions?

I’d hope so because I watched free-to-air TV for an hour last night and they weren’t anywhere to be found.

5. What's your go-to solution for writer's block?

Genius.

6. Which words or phrases do you overuse?

In this book “Mum” and “dude.” I’ll let you in on a little secret. I always thought you couldn’t start sentences with ‘Because’ or ‘And’ because our teacher told us that in Grade eight. I was talking to my editor and it turns out you can. I still don’t know the difference between a noun and a verb, but I did go to a public school in Tasmania so lay off. I’m under contractual obligation to get the word ‘jigemirick’ into each book I write. Nan used to say it and it isn’t even on the intermanet.

7. What do you put down as your occupation when asked?

After nine hours – writer.

8. What is the question that you hope never to be asked in an author Q&A?

Why are you called The Bedroom Philosopher?

9. What question do you hope you will be asked and why?

Can I be your arts patron and donate some money to you? I need funding.

10. Which book that you have read do you think should be better known or more widely read?

Walk by Darby Hudson. He’s from Melbourne and he’s cool.


First Chapters bookings via Eventbrite

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Chapters Q&A with HC Gildfind

First Chapters Q&A with Saradha Koirala