First Chapters Q&A with Julia Prendergast

"Julia Prendergast is a real writer who writes about real life". Bruce Pascoe

Julia Prendergast has a PhD in Writing and Literature and is a lecturer in Writing and Literature at Swinburne University in Melbourne. 
Julia will be reading at First Chapters on Friday 3 August from her novel The Earth Does Not Get Fat.

We asked Julia some general bookish questions to get to know her better.

1. Brunswick Bound has asked you to read a chapter from your published work.  Tell us what we can expect from the chapter you have chosen?
Sowing the Wind’ is the first chapter I wrote towards The Earth DoesNot Get Fat. This chapter appears towards the end of the novel. The characters in this story would not leave me alone and so it became a novel in stories. Many chapters, including this one, are published as standalone short stories. The novel is a fractured narrative, in multiple first person voices.
The setting of the chapter is the seaside—Mornington Peninsula foreshore. Annie’s children go missing at the beach.
2. How would you describe the kind of books that you write?
It sounds like the simplest question but I’m not sure it is. Perhaps… dirty realism. I like ‘behind closed doors’ stories.
Arnold Zable says the book is: Poetic, yet earthed, driven by a raw intensity. I hope that’s true.
3. What was the first book that you read (or had read to you) that left an impression on you?
I’m not sure about the first… The most recent books I’ve read, that really floored me, are works by Sofie Laguna and Josephine Rowe. They kill it.
4. Do you believe that books should answer life’s big questions?
I think there is a lot of disagreement about what the big questions are.... Personally, I’m interested in stories about how we love and live, in diverse ways. I think books offer a way of seeing through the eyes of an other—for engaging, experientially, with the world of others. For me that’s the gift and power of narrativeto offer alternative ways of seeing and knowing and to offer questions, rather than answers.
5. What’s your go-to solution for writer’s block?
Read.
6.  What is your favourite word or phrase?
I like unusual word combinations. I read a review recently—of a book about teaching creative writing. The review referred to our ideas as our ‘belief salad’. I like that.
7. What do you put down as your occupation when asked?
Writer. Academic.
8. What is the question that you hope never to be asked in an author Q&A?
I’m happy to be asked anything. I’m not sure I’d answer everything but I’m happy to be asked…
I love talking about other authors’ work. I love talking about craft and character.
9. What question do you hope you will be asked?
Would you like a glass of wine?  (BB: You will certainly be asked that)
10. Which book that you have read do you think should be better known or more widely read?

I just read a collection of short fiction by Irish writer Alan McMonagle: Psychotic Episodes. It is gritty, thoughtful, tender, full of yearning, and funny in unexpected places.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Chapters Q&A with Justin Heazlewood

First Chapters Q&A with HC Gildfind

First Chapters Q&A with Saradha Koirala