First Chapters Q&A with Eleni Hale

Eleni Hale was previously a reporter at the Herald Sun, a communications strategist for the union movement and has written for many print and online news publications.  Her short story Fig was published as part of the ABC's In Their Branches project and she has received three Varuna awards. 

Eleni will be reading from her YA novel Stone Girl at First Chapters on Friday 6 October.

We asked Eleni some bookish questions to get to know her better and this is what she had to say.


1. Brunswick Bound has asked you to read a chapter from your published work.  Tell us what we can expect from the chapter you have chosen?

Chapter one. The narrator in Stone Girl, Sophie Soukaris, is 12-years-old. She is at the police station and in shock. Her mum is dead and Sophie thinks it’s her fault.
Since there is no one else to care for her, a social worker comes to take her to a group home where kids without a family live. This is the beginning of a very new life for Sophie.
The book follows her journey all the way to 18-years-old and shows her complete transformation from innocent into the type of teenager society loves to hate.
The section you will hear takes you inside the mind of a child entering a system fraught with inconsistencies. She will soon need to learn to rely on herself. But here, she still believes someone else can save her.

2. How would you describe the kinds of books that you write?

I like to draw the reader into the mindset of someone they might not have previously thought they could (or would want) to relate to. This can be confronting but also interesting. And isn’t that what books are all about? We get to live many different worlds and then put down the book and return to our own but with a greater understanding of those around us.

3. What was the first book that you read (or had read to you) that left an impression on you?

Besides my childhood obsession with the Grimm’sFairy Tales, Go Ask Alice was a book I read as a child of about 12 which I never forgot. It taught me about drugs and choices and that the world was not particularly safe. I also learnt about peer pressure.

4. Do you believe that books should answer life’s big questions?

Yes. Is there a better way?
Who are we? What do we want? Should we allow euthanasia or show kindness to convicted criminals or believe in God?
In books we get to do something that isn’t always possible; we explore a subject deeply from an another perspective. As if we were them. No other medium offers this level of exposure. Movies, art and music give us a glimpse but in books you get to go inside the minds of others. What does the world they live in and the choices they make actually feel like in their skin?
For this reason I don’t agree with those who say we should protect teens from dark gritty subject matter. They are already exposed to so much in everyday life. At least with books they get to figure out what it all really means and walk away wiser.

5. What’s your go-to solution for writer’s block?

For me writer's block is a stop sign with a purpose.  it indicates the scene is unclear and my subconscious isn't coming to the rescue with last minute inspiration.
So when my fingers are suspended over the keyboard and mind blank I know it's time to go for a walk, think, listen to music... work it out.  Not get frustrated and try to write.

6.  Which words or phrases do you overuse?

All the usual suspects: ‘and’, ‘very’, ‘just’, ‘really’. It’s embarrassing when I do a search of my document and I realise the quantity of unneeded words that have survived multiple edits.

7. What do you put down as your occupation when asked?

I used to write ‘reporter’ but now I’m thrilled to say ‘author.’ I have very young kids and only work part-time other than writing so for now I think this is the correct occupational label. Yay!

8. What is the question that you hope never to be asked in an author Q&A?

My book has a personal element because it’s inspired by real life. One of the reason I wrote it as a fictional novel was to protect my family so I hope not to be asked about them. That said, I’m happy to discuss the group and foster homes I grew up in as a teen which makes up the heart of the story.
Also, I’m nearly finished the first draft of the second book however I still can’t talk about it in a succinct way. All I’ll say is it’s similar to Stone Girl in its gritty content.

9. What question do you hope you will be asked and why?

‘Why write a book like Stone Girl?’ I thought about this question a lot because I knew it would be a difficult book in many ways. However, I came to the conclusion that it had to be written before I could move on.

10. Which book that you have read do you think should be better known or more widely read?

Most of my favourite books are well known.
Wake in Fright by  Kenneth Cook
The story of Christiane F.
The only one I can think of that may not be widely known is Still Waters by Camilla Noli – a frightening and unforgettable read.

You can find out more about First Chapters on the Brunswick Bound website or make a booking via Eventbrite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Chapters Q&A with Justin Heazlewood

First Chapters Q&A with HC Gildfind

First Chapters Q&A with Saradha Koirala