First Chapters Q&A with Marlee Jane Ward

Marlee Jane Ward is a writer, reader and weirdo living in Melbourne. 
She likes dreaming of the future, cats, and making an utter spectacle of herself. 
You can find her short stories in the Hear Me Roar AnthologyInterdictions and Mad Scientist Journal. Her novella Welcome to Orphancorp won the 2015 Seizure Viva La Novella Prize and the 2016 Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for Young Adult Fiction.
The final instalment in the Orphancorp trilogy,  Prisoncorp, will be published in 2019.

Marlee Jane will be reading at First Chapters on Friday 1 February.  We asked her some questions to get to know her better.

1. Brunswick Bound has asked you to read a chapter from your published work.  Tell us what we can expect from the chapter you have chosen?

I haven’t chosen which one yet! Last time I waited until the last minute to choose, I ended up reading a sex scene to a packed bar while rather tipsy. I think this time I should prepare in advance.

2. How would you describe the kind of books that you write?

I like gritty settings and flawed characters. I like writing voicey fiction. I love dystopias, post-apocalyptic scenes, satire, and social-commentary packaged in a speculative wrapper.

3. What was the first book that you read (or had read to you) that left an impression on you?

The Stand by Stephen King. I read it at thirteen or so and it gave me an obsession with apocalyptic literature and the end of the world.

4. Do you believe that books should answer life’s big questions?

Some books should, some books are purely for entertainment. I think that some books should explore the possible answers to the big questions and should maybe pose more questions.

5. What’s your go-to solution for writer’s block?

I suffer blocks a lot, but they are often times when I’m trying to work something out, so my gears are turning subconsciously, but my conscious mind won’t let me write anything. In these cases, there’s no solution but time and patience and not hating yourself for not being faster.

6.  What is your favourite word or phrase?

My favourite word is ‘pocket’. Don’t ask me why, I’m not sure.

7. What do you put down as your occupation when asked?

It depends on who is asking. Whenever I’m at immigration and dazed from flying, I have a hard time answering this one. Do I say the thing I do, or do I say the thing that pays my bills?

8. What is the question that you hope never to be asked in an author Q&A?

‘Is it you in this picture?’

9. What question do you hope you will be asked and why?

Anything by anyone who has really engaged with something I’ve written and taken something from it. That’s the most exciting part of writing.

10. Which book that you have read do you think should be better known or more widely read?

Black Wave by Michelle Tea. I finished it last month and I can’t stop thinking about it. It’s a mix of memoir and apocalyptic fiction, and it’s phenomenal.

Check out the Brunswick Bound website to find out more about First Chapters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Chapters Q&A with Justin Heazlewood

First Chapters Q&A with HC Gildfind

First Chapters Q&A with Saradha Koirala