First Chapters Q&A with Robert Lukins

Robert Lukins is a Melbourne based debut fiction author.  He has written for Crikey, The Big Issue and Rolling Stone magazine amongst other publications.
Robert will be reading from The Everlasting Sunday (published by UQP) at our First Chapters event on Friday 1 June.

We asked Robert some general bookish questions because we were interested in finding out more about him and this is what he had to say.


1.     Brunswick Bound has asked you to read a chapter from your published work at First Chapters.  
Tell us what we can expect from the chapter you have chosen?

I'll be reading from the first chapter, and as it does for the central character I hope to take us into the cold and confusion of a crumbling Manor house; a home for those 'found by trouble' in rural England in 1962.


2.     How would you describe the kind of books that you write?

The Everlasting Sunday is my first novel and I hope it is a lyrical and concentrated rendering of a distant world.
3. What was the first book that you read (or had read to you) that left an impression on you?

As a child it was (I admit with only a little embarrassment) The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4 . Adrian's was a world of books and writing and that's what I wanted for myself.  As a teen it was White Noise by Don DeLillo.  This opened up a great big world to me.
4. Do you believe that books should answer life’s big questions?

Not at all.  I go to books for questions, I suppose.

5.     What’s your go-to solution for writer’s block?

I hate to say I don't think I've ever had writer's block.  Instead of writing nothing, I just write rubbish.

6.     Which words or phrases do you overuse?

My editor would tell you 'unremarkable' and 'of course'.

7.     What do you put down as your occupation when asked?

Researcher, thought I don't think anyone's ever asked me before. 

8. What is the question that you hope never to be asked in an author Q&A?

What's your favourite book? 

9. What question do you hope you will be asked and why?

The earlier one that I answered with Adrian Mole.  I never tire of talking about the Mole diaries and just how wonderful they were/are.  

10. Which book that you have read do you think should be better known or more widely read?

Ooh, nice variation on "What's your favourite book?"  (Sorry Robert!)
Very tricky to answer with one.  How about The Scent of Eucalyptus by Barbara Hanrahan or absolutely anything by Beverley Farmer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Chapters Q&A with Justin Heazlewood

First Chapters Q&A with HC Gildfind

First Chapters Q&A with Saradha Koirala