First Chapters Q&A with Elizabeth Coleman


Elizabeth Coleman is the author of four published plays, including the smash hits Secret Bridesmaids' Business and It's My Party (And I'll Die If I Want To). Her theatre writing has also appeared in several anthologies. As a screenwriter Elizabeth adapted Secret Bridesmaids' Business into an award-winning ABC telemovie and has written for many of Australia's most popular dramas, including Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and Bed of Roses, which she co-created with Jutta Goetze. Losing the Plot is her first novel.


Elizabeth will be reading from her novel Losing the Plot at First Chapters on Friday 7 June.

1. Brunswick Bound has asked you to read a piece from your published work.  Tell us what we can expect from the piece you have chosen?

I’ve chosen the opening chapter because I think it’s the best introduction to my central character Vanessa and to the premise of the book.



2. How would you describe the kind of books that you write?

I like to think that all of my writing, including Losing the Plot, is humane, fun and life-affirming. I try to create engaging characters who will shine a light on the human condition while providing laughs along the way.

3. What was the first book that you read (or had read to you) that left an impression on you?

As a young teenager, Wuthering Heights made a huge impression on me. I found Cathy and Heathcliff wildly romantic.

4. Do you believe that books should answer life’s big questions?

I think books should pose questions about life instead of answering them. A good book will prompt readers to ponder the big questions for themselves and to come up with their own answers.

5. Do you have any writing quirks?

I always wear my Ugg boots when writing, even in the midst of summer.

6.  What is your favourite word or phrase?

At the risk of sounding like an advertising slogan – just do it.

7. What have you found most surprising about publishing a book?

I feel more exposed than I was expecting. In the past I’ve been part of a team putting my plays or TV shows out there to be judged. This time it’s all on me!

8. What is the question that you hope never to be asked in an author Q&A?

Why do you think romance is so derided?

9. What question do you hope you will be asked and why?

Ask me anything about my characters and I will blather on until the cows come home.

10. Which author that you have read do you think should be better known or more widely read?

Irish writer Grace Wynne-Jones is mainly known for her journalism, but she writes terrific novels too. I recommend her.


Find out more about the First Chapters event series on the Brunswick Bound website.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Chapters Q&A with Justin Heazlewood

First Chapters Q&A with HC Gildfind

First Chapters Q&A with Saradha Koirala